Modern Foreign Languages Growth Plan: Tolworth Girls' School, Surbiton, Surrey
Modern Foreign Languages Growth Plan:
Tolworth Girls’ School
The benefits of learning a language are significant.
Learning a language improves the neuroplasticity of the brain, it can quite literally make you smarter. The promotion of cognitive development, enhanced memory and critical thinking skills can set young Australians up to succeed. Learning another language is actually proven to improve performance in other academic areas as well and will even improve individuals’ awareness of their first language.
All of those benefits are significant without even taking into consideration the value students receive in being exposed to another culture. In a world deeply affected by COVID-19 and capacity to travel overseas being limited, through no fault of our own, our lives have become more insular. The need to develop global citizens is more important than ever, and exposure to another language and culture is vital in equipping young Australians with the knowledge, skills, and values to thrive in a globalised world.
We are proud of our cooperation with Tolworth Girls’ School to date and want to support a whole school vision for Modern Foreign Languages:
2017 – 2021 – 1 classroom per year, students participating in a carousel, beginner Mandarin
Aspiration for 2022:
Allow more students at Tolworth Girl’s School to benefit from your Mandarin programme, by offering to all grade levels for one lesson per week, for a full year
- Embed languages intro your school curriculum, giving students a full year of consistent Mandarin lessons rather than using the carousel model
- Allow your students continuity of learning. Language learning is a process, and Meg Languages programmes are designed to build compentency over time
- Meg Languages will monitor your student progress allowing you to receive evidence on how this approach creates a better learning outcome
2022/23 School Year:
In addition to the provision of our Modern Foreign Languages programme, Meg Languages’ in-house experts will work with your school – free of charge – to help develop a strategy to internationalise the school more broadly in the pursuit of developing Global Citizens
Tolworth Girls’ School will be given the opportunity to conduct a gap analysis against our Internationalising Schools Framework to identify the school’s focus areas for next year and beyond.
As part of our Going Global Initiative, professional learning days and self-paced online professional learning courses are provided to teachers to get the most out of the programme and to help develop a Global Classroom.
In a pre-covid world, Meg Languages was hosting regular study tours to China for both students and educators. When the threat of covid has subsided, we will be in a position to provide Tolworth Girls’ School with these types of exciting international opportunities.
At Meg Languages, we are very familiar with how to start small with one of our partner schools and grow over time as we continue to add value beyond just our Modern Foreign Languages programmes.
To understand the journey we’ve had with one of our largest partner schools, check out this Case Study.
Mernda Primary School
Beyond engaging your students and your staff, we take great pride in being able to engage your broader school community in regards to languages and culture.
As the world returns to normal, Meg is excited about engaging Tolworth Girls’ School with many forms of developing a community of learners, including:
- Participating in our Global Citizenship Student Ambassador Program where students will be given support and resources to lead initiatives on developing Global Citizenship across your school and community.
- Using technology such as chat bots and virtual reality to engage the school community in technology based interactions
- Engaging your parent community with parent night demonstrations that include such activities as tai chi demonstrations, cooking courses and an introduction to Mandarin language
- Student-run Chinese festivals in the local community
We’re excited about the future and we want you to be too.
Please contact me to discuss how we can grow together next year.